Start Your Morning Right
Breakfast is one of the most challenging parts of a low-carb keto lifestyle. There's only so many eggs you can eat before you start to get sick of 'em! If you’re looking for a delicious, travel-friend (and egg-free) keto breakfast idea, this low-carb, high-protein keto chocolate smoothie is for you. Packed with vital nutrients and healthy fats, this chocolatey protein shake will keep you going for hours.
The Perfect Grab-N-Go Low-Carb Breakfast
Before you started your ketogenic diet, your typical grab-n-go breakfast looked like a breakfast bar, some instant oatmeal, or a pre-made breakfast shake. Most of these options are high in sugar and carbs, and low in protein. If you've been wondering what quick and easy keto-friendly breakfasts you can eat on the way to work or school, why not try a smoothie? Just toss in your ingredients, blend 'em up, and pour 'em in a to-go container and head out the door.
How To Streamline Your Smoothie Prep
If you're dedicated to the keto lifestyle, chances are you're familiar with the concept of meal prepping. Just like you prep your meals for the week, you can easily meal prep your breakfast smoothies for an even easier morning! Read on for our meal prep tips to streamline your smoothies!
- Rather than chopping and cleaning every morning, have all your ingredients ready to go. On Sundays, take the time to prep, chop and portion out your veggies and low-sugar fruits, then store them in the fridge or freezer to use throughout the week.
- Portion out 5 days' worth of solid ingredients into separate mason jars. (Just leave out the liquid ingredients). Each morning, simply toss the contents of one mason jar into your blender, add your liquid, and blend.
- If you're using a bullet-style blender, simply pour tomorrow's smoothie ingredients directly into the reusable blender cup and stash it in the fridge. In the morning, pour in your liquids and blend.
How To Build The Perfect Low-Carb Smoothie
The ideal keto smoothie won't be a fruity, sugary, tropical concoction. Instead, it will feature a liquid, a protein source, a fat source, and something to give it a creamy, delicious texture. Start with a base of vegetables, like vitamin-rich leafy greens, and low-carb fruits like avocados and berries. Next, add in your protein, healthy fats and dietary fiber. It's important to consume between 15-20 grams of protein at breakfast, to jumpstart your metabolism for the day. Some great options include: nut butter, protein powder, coconut oil, MCT oil or coconut butter. Don't forget some nuts, hemp seeds or chia seeds for some texture! Blend it all with a creamy keto-friendly liquid like unsweetened nut milk or full fat coconut milk. Our recipe combines almond butter and our famous Real Good Protein Powder, giving you almost 50 grams of fat, 14 grams of protein and just 2 grams of net carbs in one glass. Oh, and it tastes just like a delicious chocolate brownie milkshake.
Real Good Paleo & Keto Bulletproof Chocolate Shake Recipe
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 2 scoops Real Good Protein Powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, soaked in 3 tbsp water for 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 5 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until well-combined.
- Serve and enjoy!